You will need a computer (laptop or desktop) and a stable internet connection (for best quality use cable internet instead of WiFi). We also recommend to use a headset during the virtual classrooms. A webcam will not be necessary. If possible, please find yourself a quiet work space when attending the online workshop to limit disturbance for both yourself and fellow participants.
Test Adobe connect
We will be using the online software system Adobe Connect for the virtual classrooms. You can test your connection to Adobe connect via this link. We also advise to watch this video to better understand the software.
Start online sessions in time
Because time management is very important in online sessions, we will start each online session exactly at the stated time. To make sure you are in time for the online session, please enter into the system 30 or 15 minutes before the starting time
Choose “Enter as Guest” and type in your name. You will first receive a pop-up screen with tips about using Adobe Connect.
Audio trouble shooting
If you have successfully logged in but cannot hear the facilitator, or if the facilitator appears not to be able to hear you, please test make sure you have connected your (correct) speakers and microphone by clicking on the speaker and microphone icons and allowing Adobe Connect to connect your equipment.
You can also test your audio connection through the “Audio Setup Wizard”. You can find this option under the “Meeting” drop down menu in the upper left corner of your screen. You can also send the trainers a request for help via the “Chat and questions” box which you can find in the bottom right corner of your screen. Also see this video for audio trouble shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg85f7idYls
Should you experience other connectivity problems during the online sessions you can try to resolve the problem with the help of the following tips and tricks:
- Make sure the sound / microphone of your computer is working in other programs than Adobe Connect
- Unplug and connect your headset again
- Do the Audio Setup Wizard in Adobe Connect, under the ‘Meeting’ menu, in the ‘Manage My Settings’ submenu. Make sure you select the right microphone in Step 2. If your microphone is not listed, you need to restart your computer with the microphone connected. If after a restart it is still not listed, you might need to install drivers for your microphone.
- If your microphone was not plugged in before logging in to Adobe Connect, quit Adobe Connect, plug in the microphone and log in again.
- Close the Adobe Connect session and your browser. Then reopen both to join the session
- If you are not using a wired connection, move as close to the wireless router as possible.
If for some reason we can’t get your audio connect you can unfortunately not continue your participation in the pilot course.
Etiquette during online sessions
- If you have a question, raise your hand
- If you need to leave the virtual classroom, change your status
- If you start talking, please mention your name first
- If there are background noises at your work space, mute yourself
- If you have technical questions, use the private chat to contact the trainer
- Participate actively in the discussion
E-learning content and tracking progress
As you may have seen we have not yet posted all the content for the course online yet. The content for the each session will be made available on this e-learning system at least one week before the next online session.
You can track you progress in the course yourself by marking each page you have processed as “complete”. You are not required to track your progress, but doing so may enhance your motivation for the course.
Receive your certificate
If you have participated in all the online sessions from the beginning to the end, completed all the quizzes, handed in all the homework assignments and provided input into the evaluation of the course you will receive a certificate of participation after the end of the course.
In case you have missed one session you can still obtain your certificate if you watch back the recording of this online session and make a summary of the session of at least page following a session specific template within two weeks after the session. For more information, please ask Virginia.
As pilot course participants we are very interested to hear your experience with the online sessions and software chosen. At the end of each virtual classroom you will be asked to briefly evaluate that session. At the end of the course we would like to ask you to fill in a longer and more comprehensive evaluation. A few months after the course we would like to ask you again to reflect on the course and what benefits it has brought you. It is very important for SOMO to thoroughly evaluate this course. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!